Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Basic Radio telescope -

I starting to gain some experience with my little dish.  Here is the recent results -

January 30, 2014
I was trying to match up my recordings from today with solar flare data and not having any luck. I just noticed on Space Weather.Com a report of an X-Ray solar flare at 2200 UT. The middle chart shows the biggest spikes that I recorded today. Shortly before this the recording was pretty much a flat line and after the spikes subsided. Most solar flares monitor receivers are on a much lower frequency then what I'm using so a big maybe here.

 Earlier recording (Time is UT) -




 Recording at time of X-Ray flare -



 Right after -




February 02, 2014

Today AR1967 produced a flare staring at 21:24:00 UT peaked at 22:04:00 UT and ended at 22:14:00 UT. I had some recording runs at that time and I may have caught some of the action. There was a lot of activity at this time. See the strong signal at 21:36:04 UT. 




 This one I'm thinking is a continuation of the action out to 22:02:40 UT.
















At 22:27:00 UT A1968 produced a C8.4 flare and I think that the right side of this trace is some of that action.














February 03, 2014

I got a late start with my recordings and of course most of the solar activity today was before I started. There was a C7 flare reported at this time wasn't attributed to a sunspot. This was the strongest signal that I had today. Actually I'm glad because it gives me more faith in my earlier recordings, that I'm not just picking up some noise signals. If you compare the signal amplitude to yesterday's signals you will see that this C7 flare has a smaller amplitude as it should. A C flare being 'Minor, an M flare being 'Moderate and an X flare classified as 'Large'.











1 comment:

Bill Griffith said...

Bill . That is a fantastic set up you have there and you have proven that it is accurate and reliable .
This is a valuable tool for solar study . I am looking forward to a day when one of us captures a flare and you have a graph to go with it .