Monday, May 5, 2014

Daystar Quark First Light(s)

I wanted to wait until I had had some time with the new Quark before I posted any thoughts . The one I purchased is the chromosphere model and I have used it two times now . This filter has a 4.2 telecentric barlow so I figured using this with my long tube refractors could be iffy . The solution was an Orion Short tube 80 . At 400mm F/L the Quark bumps this up to 1680mm . My Moonlight focuser's are easily adapted to other scopes so I mounted one of them to the new solar weapon .. This is the configuration I used  for the first images
.

Visual

I use my scopes more for imaging than I do for viewing but what I saw through the eyepiece was impressive , the field is quite narrow compared to my SM 60 but the details were every bit as good . where it exceeds the SM 60 is in the even lighting and absence of any sweet spot .

Imaging

So far I have found this to be quite an imaging friendly filter . On scopes up to 80mm nothing else is required , just drop it into the diagonal and you are good to go . I tried using it with and without a 0.5 focal reducer on the camera and had no issues bringing the scope to focus . With the 4.2 built in barlow this does not cover too much area and gets you in pretty close so I wanted to see if a reducer would work for a more backed out view . Here are 2 images with the 0.5 F/R mounted to my DMK 21 

AR 2058 , 2060 with AR 2061 just off the limb


Where all the action is , AR 2055 & friends


Now a shot of AR 2055 without the reducer


Even though this is not the prominence model it doesn't do a bad job




For comparison I took many of the same shots using my SkyWatcher / PST mod . There a couple of things to consider here , one is that I have had more experience imaging with this combination and two is that the SkyWatcher offers has a 100mm aperture with more than twice the focal length . here are the comparison shots






I wanted to try the Quark in my SkyWatcher and removed the blocking filter and 2" to 1 1/4" adaptor and put the 2" diagonal and Quark in it's place so this image is my SkyWatcher / PST mod double stacked with the Quark at a whopping 3780mm focal length !! I am surprised it turned out as good as it did .

  
Note ; All images were done with a DMK 21 

May 16 update

I had another go with the Quark on May 13 . This time I removed the mod from my SkyWatcher 100 F/9 and used this scope with my DMK 31 for these images . Using this scope with the Quark and it's built in 4.2 barlow lenses  brings the focal length up to 3780mm and was pushing the scope to it's limits . These being test shots I did not worry about identifying  them .





My 2" Eyepiece Adapter

Daystar recommends using longer focal length eyepieces with the Quark . I have a couple of long F/L eyepieces but they are in a 2" format . I have always wanted to view the sun through a 2" eyepiece so I made a simple adapter so I could mount a 2" SCT visual back to my Quark and allow me to try 2" ep's with it .

Antares 2" visual back with the adapter


Assembled 2" adapter


2" Adapter installed in place of the original 1 1/4" one


9 comments:

Bill Griffith and Mike Bridges said...

Great write up Mike. I know that you put a lot of work in to this. Nice job.

Bill Griffith and Mike Bridges said...

Thanks Bill , I need some more time with this new product and am confident that I will get better at using it as I gain more experience .I have not found the optimum settings for the filter or camera yet . I am finding that I do not need to see as much detail in the live view to be able to pull it out in the processing . I had been a bit heavy handed with the gamma to bring up contrast and will lighten this up for the next test

malik aayan said...

Your site growing Rapidly because you have much batter ideas so thanks for sharing.solar energy

malik aayan said...

Your site growing Rapidly because you have much batter ideas so thanks for sharing.solar energy

Michael said...

Thank you Mike for this very informative analysis! I have ordered the Chromosphere version and are on a wait list. I know it will work on my Orion ED80T without a ERF, but I would also like to try it out on my Williams Optics FLT132. Sean from Daystar indicated that I shouldn't need a ERF up to 150mm. Instead, he recommends using a IR/UV cut filter a head of the diagonal. DO you have opinion on this approach? Thanks, Mike

Bill Griffith and Mike Bridges said...

Hello Michael

Forgive me for not answering sooner , We have not had many comments here and I was not keeping up . Your Megrez will be an excellent choice and should do a better job than your 80 . My preferred scope for my Quark is my 110mm Megrez . I have used it with an IR/UV filter as suggested but I all ready had a 100mm Lunt ERF so I now use this ahead of the aperture .
Be sure to let us know how you like your new Quark , and if you have any more questions I will watch out for them .

Best regards
Mike

Steve Bowden said...

Brilliant review - I especially like the part regarding the modification for a 2" eyepiece - that could lend itself for my DSLR imaging. You could find a market for these ;)
Steve

Bill Griffith and Mike Bridges said...

Thank you for your comments Steve , I am glad that you enjoyed my review . It is my understanding that Daystar is now offering a 2" eyepiece holder for the Quark

Martin Cohen said...

Awesome work and research with the Quark. I am considering getting the newer Quark Combo, which does not use the built in 4.2x Barlow. It will allow you to create your own configuration with a Barlow of your choice. It functions best between F/15 and F/30.
I am curious how well it will show a full solar disk. Any experience?

Thanks,

Martin